Saturday, July 9, 2011

IVF #1 CD 8 (What a day!)

I am a day late on this post, so it is about Friday. I woke up early and made it on time for my blood work and sono. During the sono she was clicking and measuring away, so I immediately felt reassured that everything was progressing well. The left side had definitely picked up the slack a little bit so that was good. I left in a good mood and headed off to work.

I first saw a little boy at our play group and it went well. I then went to another house and they weren't home (what else is new?), so I called the next family and asked if I could come a little earlier. This little guy I have only seen one other time and he is an adorable little peanut. He just turned 2 in April and stays with his grandparents during the day while his parents work. His grandfather has had a few strokes and is not very with it, so grandma is the one I deal with primarily.

 When I got there the grandmother told me she wasn't sure how he was going to be since he had gotten into some of his grandpa's pills (WHAT?!!). She said she was trying to get ahold of the doctor and his parents. Well, he sat down with me for about 5 minutes before I started to notice he was acting really strange. He wasn't interested in what I took out so kept getting up to try to get to my bag to get something else. When he stood up he was really unstable adn he was staggering, and then when he sat back down his legs started shaking really badly. This moved on to his whole body so I told the grandma and she called 911.

She gets on the phone and is practically hysterical so I ask her if she wants me to talk to them. I get on the phone and try to help figure out which pills he took. He took 2 anti-seizure meds, one Metformin, and one other pill I can't remember what it was. The ambulance arrived quickly and put him onto gurney and brought him out to the truck. I spoke to the police office who also arrived and then went out to check on the little guy. At this point he was super out of it and trying to doze off. I hung out in the back of the ambulance shaking him and trying to keep him awake. They were directing most of the questions to me because the grandma was too upset and the grandpa didn't really know what was going on. They got ahold of the parents and they were going to meet them at the hospital.

At first they asked me to ride in the ambulance with him, but I would then be stuck without a car or ride about 40 minutes away. They took the grandpa with them in the ambulance an I followed behind. When I arrived at the hospital his parents were there and they were trying to get an IV in him. He was SREAMING and wasn't so sleepy anymore. I answered a few questions for the doctor's and told the parents I hoped he felt better.

The grandma called me later in the day and said that he was doing fine and that they had a given him a catheter and EKG and were just going to monitor him for a at least 8 hours to make sure there wasn't any permanent damage. She also thanked me for being there and helping.

So, by 12:30 I had been to Syracuse twice (about 45 minutes each way), and was headed back to work. It was crazy and so scary. I can't even imagine if it were my own child, but seeing how little he was in that ambulance and at the hospital was awful. He only weighs 23 pounds!

That afternoon I got the call from the nurse at the office. My estradiol was up to 1287 and I have 9 follicles one the right and 7 on the left. Some were too small to be able to catch up, but the idea is to get the ones that are 13 and 14 cm to catch up. I will stay on the same dose of Gonal-F and go back Sunday. Since my clinic isn't open on Sunday I will be going to the hospital for the blood work and sono. Two hospitals actually. Luckily, they are right next to each other. My RE called later that day but I didn't get the call and he ended up leaving a message. He said the only risk of continuing me on the Gonal-F is OHSS. He doesn't think this will happen, but he said each person is different. I am hoping to avoid OHSS, especially since my sister's wedding is in exactly 2 weeks!!

They are planning to have me take the same dose Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and then trigger late Sunday night and come in early Tuesday for retrieval. I am getting so nervous for retrieval and have to say I am super uncomfortable. We joked this morning that I have the 4 B's of IVF: bloated, bitchy, broke, and bruised. Doesn't that sound like fun?

4 comments:

  1. Holy cow- what a day!! I'm one day behind you in stims and can totally relate to that horrible uncomfortable bloating! I'm ready to get these eggies out of me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good thing you were there. Glad everything is going well with your cycle and I hope you get lots of eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa - sounds like such a crazy day! Congratulations on a Tuesday retrieval! Wishing you all the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...good thing you were scheduled to meet with the little boy that day, because who knows what would have happened! Sounds like you just might be a hero :) Whoaaa...your IVF train is just chugging along! So excited for you. Im pretty nervous about a retrieval too. I just want to be completely asleep for it!

    ReplyDelete