Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hello again disappointment

The nurse called today and said we will not be able to do the FET this cycle. My RE wants me to come in for another ultrasound when I stop bleeding. He wants to be sure the fluid is gone. I guess if I were to start the estrogen and start building up my lining it could mask the fluid. If the fluid is still there he wants to do a biopsy.

The ultrasound tech is on vacation next week and I don't have an appointment until August 8th.

 I am frustrated to say the least.

Now the debate is whether to wait another 7+ weeks to do the FET (my cycles unmedicated are about 35 days), or whether to start another fresh IVF. I was willing to do the FET this cycle because it would give me closure on our cycle. I didn't have a ton of hope in the fact that the embryos that were frozen were as follows: 1 6-celled embryo graded 4+, 3 4-celled embryos graded 4, and one fertilized egg that hadn't started to divide. It was always very clear they were slow to develop.

So I'm working on a pro's and con's list of IVF and FET.

The only cost is the meds (estrogen)
It may work and we could get pregnant for the cost of one IVF cycle
It gives me closure on our cycle and allows me to say we completed an IVF cycle

The chances of success aren't great
Our embryos are not as many cells as they should be for day 3 embryos
We have to wait 7+ weeks
The best embryo may not survive the thaw and we would be left with only 4-celled embryos to transfer

Pros: Doing one cycle prior lets us know that we need to ICSI all eggs and may result in more embryos
We could be transferring fresh embryos in about 7 weeks
The chances of success are higher
We have all the meds we need
We can start this cycle (I think)

Our embryos could be slow to develop again
Fluid could return since we didn't know what caused it

I really can't make any decisions until the ultrasound to know whether the fluid is gone. Today W and I had a conversation about where to go from here, how much disappointment this has all been, how far we are willing to go with fertility treatments, and how this will all (hopefully) be worth it. Needless to say, the disappointment continues.


  1. Ugh, I am so sorry :( What a major disappointment. But I like your pros/cons list! And its hard to give advice on what you should do. It's definitely a personal choice :) Well, I am thinking of you and totally hoping that one way or another, you'll lil babe arrives. And SOON. I know the feeling of just wanting SOMETHING to go right FOR ONCE :)

  2. UGH! CRAP, DAMN, HELL. Nothing is ever easy, is it? I'm so sorry you have to deal with this also.

    I hope you and your husband have a (relatively) easy time coming to a decision and that it is one you are comfortable with.

  3. I am so sorry to hear about the delay. It sounds like you have a really tough decision ahead of you. I understand not feeling very optimistic about things. For our first IVF we only had two embryos and we transferred both. One was a six cell and one was a four cell. I did not have much hope, and it turned out that I was right. We had to decide whether we wanted to do another round of IVF with DH'S sperm that we had frozen (when they thawed them, none of them were moving). We decided that it was not worth it because the RE said that we had a 10% chance or less that we would get any eggs to fertilize. He was surprised that we managed to get two to fertilize last time and he was not surprised about the slow and poor development. We decided to wait until the beginning of next year to start again and DH will have another TESE done so that we can use a fresh sample since his sperm do not handle the freezing/thawing process. I didn't want to wait until next year to possibly be pregnant, but we knew in our heart that it was our best chance. Infertility is hard enough as it is, and then you get these kinds of problems thrown in there to deal with. It totally sucks. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I will be praying for your success. Just remember...there are people out there that understand what you are going through and how bad this all feels.

  4. So, so sorry to hear about the delay in cycling again. I am sure you will make a decision that you feel comfortable with. I hope your next round is soon. xx

  5. Well that just plain sucks. In the world of IF, I know how long 7 weeks can feel. I'm really sorry things haven't gone as smoothly as you deserve them to.

    Although it's a hard decision, you seem to have a clear head about everything. Hopefully the u/s shows no fluid and you get the go ahead anyways...

  6. Also sorry about the delay. Hope you can get going again soon.

  7. Just stopping by to wish you good luck with your cycle and to let you know that FET does work even where IVF didn't (make it 2 IVFs for us). Whatever decision you'll make will be the right one for you. Hoping that all the fluid is gone and you can proceed with FET this cycle and get to bring home a healthy baby(or babies). Good luck!