Friday, July 15, 2011

IVF #1 CD 16 (cancelled transfer)

Today absolutely sucked. I don't understand why my body won't cooperate and things always go wrong. I am so incredibly bummed and spent much of the afternoon crying/napping in bed. I had to keep myself together for hours since I was with my MIL, so literally the second I walked in the door I started bawling. 

We arrived on time for the transfer and although my RE was a little late, he got there and we were able to look at the embryos and make a decision as to how many/which ones we were going to transfer. We picked the best 3 (one was 6 cells, and 2 were 4 celled and all were rated 4/5.) I had taken my Valium and was plenty relaxed. 

We got into the transfer room and they got me all gowned up and covered in sterile sheets. They then called the ultrasound technician to come in. She got the abdominal probe ready and puts it over my abdomen. Immediately she says, "What that?" She and my RE decided they need a better look with the vaginal probe and my RE puts it in. Like I said before, he is NOT gentle with it. He zooms in and they all agree it looks like an early gestational sac. They then called the other RE from the practice, the embryologist, and another nurse into the room. They were all amazed by what they saw and decided I need to take a pregnancy urine test and go upstairs to the higher resolution ultrasound machine to get a better picture/idea as to what was going on. 

The urine test is negative. 

The ultrasound reveals 3 areas of fluid in my uterus and they draw my blood for another pregnancy test. The ultrasound technician is able to get a measurement on the one round spot in my uterus and it measures ~4w4d. 

I talk to my RE again and he says he will get the results of the blood pregnancy test and that I should come back in 2 hours so we can talk about it. My MIL and I went and got lunch and returned a little after 3. They made the decision to freeze all embryos since there wasn't a great chance for success with something in my uterus of unknown origin. 

The HCG results were 43. This is likely residual from the trigger, especially since it would be impossible to see an early gestational sac with such a low HCG level. My RE said he will treat it for the weekend as if it were a pregnancy, but it is highly unlikely. I am supposed to continue the progesterone and return Monday for another HCG. Regardless, this number is far too low for what it should be if I were pregnant. 

All in all, we froze the embryos and he wants to keep me on progesterone (probably pill form after Monday's results) in order to be sure I have a good bleed after and get rid of everything in my uterus. We will plan to do a FET next cycle. 
I can't believe I didn't even get to the transfer. I am SO disappointed in my body and am starting to wonder whether this is ever going to happen for us. My RE said I have not followed any of the textbooks and he will take my case to a panel of doctors next week to discuss it.

Today seriously sucked and I am so bummed. I know that freezing and not transferring was the best decision and none of the other doctors consulted said they had ever seen this happen. There wasn't any fluid there Sunday. I just wish my body wouldn't repeatedly fail me. 

16 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. How confusing and disappointing! Sometimes we just get crap luck in the reproductive department. Hopefully they figure it all out and you will be able to go into your transfer with a clear slate.

    So sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this is bad news, upon bad news. So sorry for what you have gone through. I wish you wouldn't have to experience this stuff.

    Praying everything gets 'figured out' and your next cycle has much better results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. I'm so very sorry. What a harrowing experience. I hope that everything is figured out soon and that your FET is soon underway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a crazy afternoon! I'm sorry that things ended up this way. Hopefully everything will clear up quickly and you'll be on your way to a FET in no time! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well eff. I am so, so, so sorry. That is just an awful way to end things. Lots of hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awful day!! There's the silver lining of a future FET, but that doesn't take away from the fact that today was just awful. I'm glad your MIL could be there for you...but what a nasty surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely understand the frustration with your body failing you. I feel the same way about my body and DH's. I am happy that you had embryos to freeze though. At least they made it to that stage. With my cycle I only had 2 weak embryos that would have never made it to freeze. I wish you all the luck in the world for your FET.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh Liz, I'm so so sorry :( What a crazy mess. I totally understand the disappointment and sadness over it all. Ill be praying for you that this FET is a go once everything settles down. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry Liz. This is so unfair. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry. So weird and confusing!
    I hope there are more answers on monday
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a really awful day. I would definitely say that it's better to wait than waste the embryos (as I now feel we did with our first transfer, not that we could have known at the time) but you must feel so confused right now. I hope the situation resolves soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Liz, I am so so sorry to read this. :( Hang in there hon, and trust that your docs are doing the right thing and your ute will be properly primed for the FET.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHAT?! How can something strange like this be happening to you AGAIN?! I think you've had enough excitement over the last few months now....and you deserve for everything to go smoothly. I'm so sorry, Liz!!
    But, it IS better to transfer embryos into a healthy/clean uterus. FET's DO work so don't let that get you down...the wait sucks but it will be worth it! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to read this! $#@$#@*() Infertility, you'd like to be able to relax at some point but you never know when something like this is going to come from left field. I'm sorry you are going through this-this SUCKS. I'm thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I am so sorry! How disappointing and frustrating and confusing! Totally sucks.
    Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also soo sorry..how confusing. I hope this gets worked out pronto.

    ReplyDelete