Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sandy and Bambi

Since we live in NY, the threat for hurricane Sandy existed for us. We didn't go crazy preparing, but we did buy a few easily prepared meals, fill our cars up with gas, and put them in the garage to protect them from the giant tree right next to the driveway. Other than that, we weren't too concerned. I guess it was for good reason. 

We got some high winds and rain yesterday and last night, but nothing too exciting. Our lights flickered for a while, but we never lost power. 

Other areas got hit hard, but we got lucky. 

Things were a bit crazier around here early, early Monday morning. I'm a pretty hard sleeper. I don't hear much and it takes a lot to wake me up. Well, apparently one of our dogs started whining around 4 AM. W got up to let the dogs out (I had no clue), but I do remember him coming back to bed. A few minutes later he said, "That's our dogs barking" and disappeared for over 5 minutes. When he came back he told me, "They had a deer." I was super confused and it definitely woke me up.

W said the dogs were barking in a really unusual way, so he went outside in his boxers to check it out. Down in the front corner of the yard the dogs had a deer cornered. He got them to come inside and they were SO excited. They were panting and checking all the windows. 

I advised W to make sure the deer was gone before letting the dogs out in the morning. He said he did and left for work. 

When I got out of the shower I heard strange barking outside. I went downstairs in my bathrobe and looked out the back door. Nothing. The barking continued so I looked out a front window. There were the dogs and this poor little deer. I'm not sure what happened to it, but its back leg was missing all the skin from hip to ankle, and it just had exposed muscle. I'm pretty sure it happened before it made its way into our yard. The dogs were barking, but not getting close enough to do any damage. 

In a complete panic I called W and told him he needed to come home immediately (he only works about 5 minutes away). I then ran outside in my bathrobe and yelled and yelled until the dogs would finally come in. Once the dogs were inside the little deer then starting checking the perimeter for an escape. 

W came home and checked the entire yard and couldn't find it. The gate was opened wide so hopefully it got out. Seeing that little freaked out and injured deer was not a good start to my Monday morning. I was upset about it for a while. The dogs, on the other hand, may have had the best day of their lives. 

This past weekend was super busy but nice. On Friday night W and I just hung out and watched television. On Saturday morning two of my friends (both pregnant but both struggled with IF) came out for lunch. From lunch we headed to the outlet mall for some shopping. It was really nice to spend time with them, but sometimes it's tough to be around two pregnant girls. 

Saturday night we met W's parents for dinner and a movie. We saw Argo and it was really great. It's not my type of movie, but I really enjoyed it. We hadn't seen my in-law's in a while so it was nice to catch up.

Sunday we hung out with our friends who have a 2-year-old (E) and carved pumpkins. This is the second year in a row we carved pumpkins with them. We drank some mulled cider and wine, ate grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, listened to some good music, and carved a bunch of pumpkins while E was napping. E is OBSESSED with W. For the first year or so of her life she was terrified of him. Then she turned a corner. For the first hour we were there she was singing at the top of her lungs, doing  "yoga moves" aka kicking her feet crazily in the air, running around, and showing off. She couldn't take her eyes off of W and almost spilled her drink everywhere since she wasn't looking. It was a really fun day overall. 
pumpkin flying everywhere!

The mouse hotel

C is focused!

E helping her daddy

Tomorrow I have an appointment at my clinic. I'm not sure exactly sure why, but I'm following Dr. B's calendar. I've been on bcp's for almost two weeks and will start Lupron on Thursday as long as everything looks good tomorrow. Things are starting to move a little more quickly finally. I also plan to schedule the endometrial biopsy for some time soon. 

My sister picked out the colors for her nursery and I went and bought fabrics to match so that I can re-do the quilt I made her. The first one I worked on was nice, but it's just not her. Also, I love the design I did for #2 so wanted to do that again. It's coming along and definitely consumes a good amount of my time and keeps me busy. Having plans and keeping busy over the weekend definitely helps to make the time pass more quickly. I originally wanted to go to NYC this weekend, but with Sandy it doesn't seem too likely. I better start thinking of alternate plans. 


  1. So glad you've stayed safe with Sandy. Crazy story about the poor deer!! I love all the pumpkins too! They look great. Wishing you the best on the start of this next cycle!!

  2. I LOVE the power tool on the pumpkin! You guys did a wonderful job on them.

  3. Glad you stayed safe through the hurricane.

  4. Sandy really hit hard in NYC