Friday, February 4, 2011

5 weeks 6 days

We had our second ultrasound today. As always, the office called me right in and took me to the ultrasound room. As I walked down the hallway with the ultrasound tech looked at me and said, "I was right, wasn't I?" She knew I was pregnant the first time but couldn't say anything to me about it since it had to be confirmed by my RE and beta results. She also said my RE said to her "that's nearly impossible" when she told him her findings. 

She was able to find the gestational sac easily, but said the fetal pole was up against the wall of my uterus so hard to fully visualize. Everything measured 5 weeks 6 days which is about on par with what my RE thought. When he confirmed the pregnancy two weeks ago he said to make another appointment in two weeks and that I should be about 6 weeks by then. Well, I was one day off of that. 

She then found the heartbeat which was a tiny little flutter in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I only saw it for a few seconds, but there was definitely some movement there. She then had me hold my breath and was able to measure the heart rate at 101 beats per minute. She said this was fine since it just started beating. 

Here is the ultrasound picture. The highlighted area (with the lines and x's) in the upper left hand area of my uterus is the fetal pole. It is SO TINY. 

Not the best picture, but you can see a little blob that is being measured.

I was a little concerned about the heart rate until I did a little research. I first looked online and it seemed within normal limits for this far along. 

Here is a chart I found from a website and eases my mind:




Fetal Age/ Size of the FetusNormal Fetal Heart rate


2 mm embryo and gestational sac diameter of 20 mm75 bpm

5 mm embryo and gestational sac diameter of 30 mm100 bpm

10 mm embryo120 bpm

15 mm embryo130 bpm

5 Weeks (Beginning)80-85 bpm

5 Weeks starts at 80 and ends at 103 bpm

6 Weeks starts at 103 and ends at 126 bpm

7 Weeks starts at 126 and ends at 149 bpm

8 Weeks starts at 149 and ends at 172 bpm

9 Weeks155-195 bpm (average175 bpm)

12 Weeks
120-180 bpm (average150 bpm)



 I also have the "What to Expect" book and it said at 6 weeks the heart rate should be around 80 beats per minute. 

I was disappointed to find out I wasn't going to see my RE today and would have to wait to hear from him. They also didn't do any blood work, but from the ultrasound, everything looks good. We are really starting to get excited, but the reality of it all still hasn't set in. 

3 comments:

  1. that is SO exciting! i can't believe it all happened the way it did. it certainly gives hope to the rest of us. wishing you a happy, healthy 9 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the pregnancy! I know how stressful it can be in the beginning! I worried over everything! 101 is great for almost 6 weeks! Now you can breath easier! Onces they see a heartbeat your miscarraige rate drops to 2%!!

    ReplyDelete