Sunday, February 24, 2013

Taking it Easy and Feeling Queasy

Things have started to sink in since Monday's ultrasound. The only thing really sinking in is that I'm pregnant, not that I'm pregnant with twins. 

I'm 6 weeks 6 days today and symptoms are really starting to kick in. How am I feeling?

Exhausted: I had a super easy work week this week and did lots of napping every day. I try to take at least an hour nap most days and have no trouble falling asleep at night. The other night I didn't nap and was passed out on the couch before 9. I love the weekends because I can nap and relax as much as I like. Sleep has always been one of my favorite things, so I love that I'm getting lots of extra sleep. 

Sore Boobs: I was surprised how long this took to happen. I've had cycles where progesterone made them feel so big and sore before I ever found out if the cycle worked or not. I would say this really just started this past week, but man, they are suddenly so painful and huge. They also look more veiny lately. The right one appears to be bigger than the left so that's fun. I think it's always subtly the case, but it's just exaggerated now. 

Nauseous: This comes and goes and I haven't thrown up. I just feel like I have motion sickness a lot. Eating definitely helps so I try to keep my stomach full. I was having a lot of middle-of-the-night nausea at first but that's been better lately. I think it may have been related to my prenatal. I don't mind this because it's a reminder that I'm pregnant and it makes me feel more confident about things. W says, "It's it bad that it makes me smile when you tell me you feel nauseous?" 

Hunger: I'm SO hungry all the time. It's truly impressive how often I want to eat. Snacking often really helps to keep the nausea away. 

Aversions or Cravings: I want nothing to do with meat. We have been making lots of vegetarian meals and eating lots of beans for protein. Yesterday morning W served me a plate of bacon and eggs and I couldn't handle it. I ate a few bites of eggs but was so grossed out that I couldn't eat it. I'm not really craving anything specific, but occasionally I will hear a food mentioned and then I really want it. Going to the supermarket is always interesting because of what I suddenly decide I want to buy. 

Frequent Urination: The cat doesn't want to sleep with me anymore because I get up a few times each night to pee. Our dog also dodges me each time I get up because she thinks I'm going to step on her. It happened once a long time ago but I guess it was memorable to her.  

Smells: I really dislike this symptom. I go into so many homes and am exposed to so many different smells every day. I feel like a blood hound. 

I read online what is supposed to be happening and how big our babies are supposed to be this week. I haven't signed up to receive any updates or anything. I did that in the past and then got updates about things my baby definitely wasn't doing. I even received formula and coupons in the mail a few times. So, I'm staying cautious, but still reading.

According to those websites our babies are developing a nose, mouth, and ears this week. They have oversized heads with dark spots that will turn into eyes and little nostrils that are starting to form. They also have little buds that will turn into arms and legs soon. The kidneys, liver, and lungs are developing. The babies are about a quarter of an inch long. I've looked at pictures of embryos at 7 weeks and they aren't exactly cute. I tell W they look like him or a baby dinosaur, but definitely not like me : )

I'm trying to stay positive and believe that everything is going well. I have another ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not willing to go to any ultrasounds without W for a while. This week we should get measurements on the babies as well as the heart rates. We didn't find those things out last week so I'm nervous to find out whether everything is where it should be. 

Dr. Br.averman ordered some additional blood work to see how the Lovenox was working. I went on Thursday to get my blood drawn exactly 4 hours after my shot. That morning I must have hit a blood vessel because the shot really bled and then bruised SO badly. I can't believe how big and dark the bruise is. It's probably the size of the palm of my hand and a deep dark purple. I heard from the nurse Sandra the next day that my levels were a bit low. Dr. B wants me to repeat this test and we may have to increase my Lovenox dose. I can't help but wonder if my shot mishap that morning had something to do with the results. I guess repeating will be the only way to find out.

Feeling symptoms really helps to ease my fears. I know we have a long way to go, but I'm feeling pretty good about things. Please let these be my take-home babies.


  1. So many symptoms! It's wonderful! Enjoy!

    I am just now able to handle smells that I was so averse to during pregnancy. Garlic, dryer sheets (just sitting in the box unused), vinegar, lotions, food. I remember spending the entire first trimester in our bedroom, the rest of the house just smelled too strong!

  2. Yay! I couldn't help but smile while reading this entire post! I am SO happy for you, and I can't help but be encouraged as well with all those symptoms you are having. I'm glad you've been able to get some sleep. Rest as much as you can, while you can!

  3. Sounds like very promising symptoms. Fingers crossed for a great u/s tomorrow :)

  4. Phew, it's hard to feel ill, but oddly comforting as well. My symptoms kicked in full force at 6w4d, and it was rough. I can't believe you're pregnant with TWINS!!!

  5. Sending many thoughts for tomorrow!!! Fingers crossed these two are in for the long haul and come home with you!!!

  6. Just enjoy everything, it goes by so fast! So happy for you!

  7. Wow, so many symptoms! Continuing to be SO excited for you!!!