Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Whoops!

Today was not a great day. I made some smart ass comment to my friend/co-worker in front of my boss. We were joking about it being our birthdays this week and wanting a "birthday bonus." I really was just joking, but my boss took it the wrong way. My friend later told me he was in a crappy mood all morning, but I had just arrived and didn't realize this. He called me about a half hour later and told me if I wasn't happy with my job he didn't want me working for him. I explained and apologized, but felt really crappy after that happened. We talked it out and he ended the conversation by him saying he was happy with me and my performance but that I can't be saying things like that. It was super careless and in the two years I've been working for him I've never had any issues. Today was an exception, but a reminder about how sometimes my big mouth can get me into trouble. 
After my talk with my boss I went to a house for an initial visit. The child did really well and the Mom knows me already as I did the evaluation a few weeks prior. One of the big issues with this child is she throws huge tantrums when she doesn't get her way. As I was leaving the little girl got outside and was on the front porch. The mom didn't want her outside and was worried about getting her back inside as she started to throw a tantrum. I tried to help get her inside and she became upset. One of my hands was full but I picked her up with the other and tried to bring her inside. As we got into the doorway she threw herself back suddenly, and... hit her head on the floor. It wasn't from very high but she immediately started screaming even louder. Man, I  really struck out today. I apologized and said I didn't realize she would do that. The Mom didn't seem very upset since I'm sure it's happened before, but I still felt awful by that point. I don't think it was a big deal, but it still sucked. 

I went out to dinner with the same friend and co-worker and we talked about what happened. She said she didn't think the comment was out of line but that he obviously took it personally. I feel better about it now, but I realize I can't get too comfortable around him. It is difficult because he is a co-worker as well and seems to prefer to be treated like a co-worker rather than a boss. I really wasn't even talking to him and honestly lost sight of the fact that he was in the room listening. 

Tomorrow is my birthday and I am hoping for a better day. Although I am working, I am determine to have a great day. I am turning 28, but prefer to stick with 25. I can definitely pull it off for a few more years.  
I upped my estrogen patches to 2 today. I have been getting slight headaches and I noticed this evening that my shoulders appear to be breaking out a little bit. Next appointment is next Monday the 8th. How is today only Tuesday??

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great (and better day) tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think what you said was out of line.. some people need to know how to take a joke.

    Hope you have a better day tomorrow.. and happy 28th birthday!! Ill be hitting the 28 club as well - early next year :( eekk!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the suck-o day! :( Seems to me like your boss might be a littlllleee too sensitive! I dont think that comment was bad at all haha HAPPY BIRTHDAY :) Wow I feel old. 28 sounds so much better (and so much more fertile) than 32 haha Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I hate days like that. Thankfully both situations were resolved. But I agree, your boss took that comment way too personally...

    Happy Birthday!!! I hope you spoil yourself. You definitely deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! i hope you have a much better day tomorrow. Being 28 isn't so bad either (I'll be turning 29 in January)! Have a great, relazing day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Sorry you had just a craptastic day- try to just brush it off and not dwell on it. Damage control was done.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Early Birthday! Your boss sounds a little overly sensitive, if you ask me. I wouldn't waste another thought on him!

    Hope tomorrow is fabulous and you are pampered by the ones you love.

    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry your day sucked. Happy Birthday- I hope it's great, you deserve a great day!

    ReplyDelete