Sunday, October 31, 2010

Meeting an IF friend

So my job involves working with small children. This means going to their houses and having a lot of contact with their families. I have been working with this one child for about 9 months now. He is the youngest of four boys (the oldest is in first grade). Mom has always been very forthcoming about how she did IVF to conceive her first and then the twins. When she and her husband thought they were done having children, she got pregnant naturally with her last boy.

I have a good relationship with this Mom. She is very on top of her house and children and does pretty well considering she has 4 boys under the age of 8. I told her ahead of time that I was going in for the surgery and she wished me the best of luck. She said she had had laparoscopic surgery in the past and that it wasn't that bad. I basically told her that I could lose an ovary or it could even be a tumor and she said that I should relax and that it will be minor. She also said to stop reading stuff on the internet, because everyone is different.

So I had my next visit with her son this week. When my time with the child was done I went to get a signature from her and talk to her about what we did, and she asked how I was doing and how everything went. She said I didn't have to tell her anything, but of course I felt comfortable enough to tell her everything. We talked for about 20 minutes and she gave me hope.

She said first of all to be persistent. If we know we want to have children, we should make it happen. She said that she and her husband did 3 IUI's and then 5 cycles of IVF before they got pregnant with their first. On the last cycle of IVF they implanted 4 embryos and she said they needed to sign a waiver from the clinic to do so. She said she had joined many infertility/IVF support groups and most people who did IVF got pregnant. She said that maybe I shouldn't give up hope on my tubes and that the Lupron might work. She also said that when it comes to making a baby, I have 2/3 of the most important things going for me (ability to produce normal eggs and normal uterus). The tubes don't matter that much because you can easily bypass them. IVF skips a major step and you don't even have to worry about the sperm and the egg meeting.

I left their house feeling much better. I feel now like we may have a chance for having children after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment