Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Cyst

So the doctor sent me get an ultrasound in order to check my ovaries for cysts. The ultrasound tech comes into the room and starts the scan. She was very quiet and remarked, "I'm surprised you can't feel that." She took about 5 minutes and didn't really want to answer any of my questions. She said that I should get dressed and go back and talk to the doctor. At this point I became extremely concerned because they said they would give me the results of the ultrasound the next time I had an appointment. Now they wanted me to talk with the doctor again?! They told me to get my husband from the waiting room so he could hear the news as well.

The doctor said I had a big cyst on my left ovary. It measured about 7-8 cm and appeared to be fluid filled. He seemed nervous and said he would have to do a pelvic exam to be sure I wasn't in danger of the cyst rupturing. He wanted to put me on the birth control pill and see whether the cyst would shrink. I was to take the pill until my next appointment. I wasn't supposed to take the last week in the pack, just the first three weeks of the pills consecutively. The worst part was he said "nothing in the vagina" until we get rid of the cyst. He warned me that cysts often rupture during or after sex and that this could be dangerous if it happened. I made an appointment for about 6 weeks later and left the office suddenly extremely aware of the cyst.

No comments:

Post a Comment