Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Second Appointment with RE

So I returned to the office on September 10th. I had an ultrasound scheduled first and then I would meet with the doctor. The ultrasound tech was a little more friendly this time and she explained during the scan that the cyst was the same. I had been hoping it would have changed even a little, but no, the sucker was still 8 cm.

The doctor said laparoscopic surgery was my next best option. The cyst wasn't changing and it was causing me more discomfort. He said there was a possibility the cyst was an endometrioma which means it would be endometrial tissue and be filled with blood. He was hopeful it was just a simple fluid filled cyst, but he also said there was a slight possibility it could be a androgen (male hormone) releasing tumor. The best indication was that is was fluid filled from the ultrasound. He said with an endometrioma one often sees small specks within the cyst on the ultrasound. Mine just looked big and black.

He shared the results of the blood work and said that most things looked ok. The results indicated that I did not ovulate, but I was also put on the pill just prior. The doctor said that might change the results. My insulin and blood sugars levels were good and there were no signs of insulin resistance. This was GREAT news. I wasn't really ready to be diabetic although it was a good scare to avoid sugar.

He scheduled me for surgery on October 20th and prepped me for everything that could go wrong. I could end up getting cut open to look at things further, they could completely remove the cyst, or even completely remove my ovary. This was very scary to me as I had only gotten my wisdom teeth out previously. I was prepared for the worst but hoping for the best. He gave me the option to get off or stay on the pill at this point. I decided I wanted to continue to take it since it would avoid any new cysts from forming.

At my next appointment, I am going to request copies of the ultrasounds so that I can add them to this blog. The cyst was huge and pretty impressive on ultrasound.

No comments:

Post a Comment