Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas

I'm a little late in getting this post together, but I still want to document it. 

Another Christmas has passed. We are exhausted from all the coming and going and we have all acquired some new and wonderful possessions. 

 For Christmas eve we were invited to my in-laws for dinner. There were a lot of people there including our good friends C,  J, and their 3 year old E who continues to adore my hubby W. We had a great dinner and visited with lots of family. We tried to give the girls bottles and enjoy our dinner at the table with adults, but they had other plans. Clara completely refused and only nursed when I left the room with her. Lucy took an ounce or so from the bottle but then also ended up nursing. We really need to work on giving them bottles more since Clara especially is starting to refuse them. Nursing is definitely easier and more convenient, but it would be nice to get a break every so often. I guess I figured since they'd taken bottles fine since birth that they would continue to. I assumed wrong. 

A few months ago our friend C told me that they were going to start trying for another baby. Their first baby was a whoops baby so I figured it wouldn't take them much time. Well, I was right. On Christmas Eve C told me that they are expecting and that she was about 12 weeks along. This is the first pregnancy announcement for me for a while. Immediately I felt so happy and excited for them. But then that old jealous feeling crept back in. I'm not jealous that she's pregnant and I'm not. For the first time in a long time I'm ok with the fact that I'm not pregnant. What I was jealous of was the ease with which they got pregnant. I'm pretty sure it happened the first month. He's a teacher and they timed it perfectly like all great fertile teachers. Just in time for summer vacation their bundles arrive. Like I said, I'm so happy for them. It was just a new and different mix of emotions for me. I don't think jealousy towards extremely fertile women will ever completely go away. 

Christmas morning we went to my moms  for brunch. We opened presents and visited with more friends and family. After brunch my in-laws came over and we opened presents. The girls got lots of books and I bought them each a new wubbanub. We didn't go crazy because there wasn't much point. I got W a new hat and a cell phone case I made him with pictures of the girls. He got me a gift certificate for a massage at a nearby fancy spa. 

We were invited to christmas dinner at W's aunts house and were all dressed up and ready to leave when we got a call saying a child family member had a high fever. We breathed a sigh of relief as we unpacked the girls and slipped back into our jammies, ready to spend Christmas evening home together as our family of four. 

Christmas was wonderful. And exhausting. It was everything I imagined my first Christmas with babies to be. I can't say it enough, but wow, what a difference a year can make!


Now I better start working on a New Year's post before it's March. 

9 comments:

  1. Happy late Christmas! Wishing all good things for you and your sweet girls in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very busy but fun Christmas with your families. The girls are growing up so fast and they are just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you had a merry Christmas, even when it didn't go exactly as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the family photo! Happy holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your girls are BEAUTIFUL.

    I feel the same way. The ease of getting pregnant, the excitement of trying, it's something I'll never get to experience - so it does hurt, even though I hold my miracle every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Now following yours. Happy New Year! Your babies are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your girls are adorable. Hope you had a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a very busy Christmas! How fun that must have been with your girls. Love your photos! The girls are getting so big!

    ReplyDelete