Sunday, August 11, 2013

Quite the Week!

This week was an emotional and exhausting one. 

On Monday W found out he was going to have to find a new job. Since that time he's been looking at ads, working on updating his resume, and looking to apply to a few positions. He knows that the new agency that comes into the facility will likely offer him a job, but he's heard terrible things about working for them. We both know that working for them is better than not having a job at all, but he's hoping for some better options. 

We've been looking at getting a new car. I took my car along with the carseats to the state trooper's station to get installed a few weeks ago. The trooper was able to get them in, but it meant having both front seats extremely far forward. It would not make for comfortable driving over long distances. Since my sister and dad live about 3 1/2 hours away, we know we will want to visit them with the girls. Let's not forgot the 2 big dogs we have. So, we started looking at SUV's that offer third row seating. W's dad insisted we look at some mini vans, and I hate to admit it, but we may get one. I joked that part of my soul was going to die in the process, but they just offer so many more features and comfort. In addition, they are more affordable than the SUV's. If anyone who reads this drives a van, please tell me how much you love it. Make me feel better about this decision. 

On Tuesday I got a call from one of the nurses at my ob's office regarding my 3 hour glucose test results. She told me I failed all 3 hours, 2 of which only by a few points. I got off the phone and cried. It was super upsetting and surprising to me considering I failed my 1 hour by only a few points. She said at my appointment Wednesday they would give me further instructions and teach me how to use the glucose meter. 

Since last Thursday I've started to feel a lot worse. I've been exhausted every day, having lots of Braxton Hicks contractions, and I noticed a slight increase in discharge. I debated calling my ob's office a few times, but decided to wait until my appointment on Wednesday. The cramping did not improve on Monday and Tuesday. I really wanted to stop working, but was too nervous to make that call myself. 

On Wednesday I had my ob appointment. When Dr. R asked me how I was feeling I told him everything that had been going on. He said he would do a FFN (Fetal Fibronectin) Test. 

"Fetal fibronectin is a protein that acts as a "glue" during pregnancy, attaching the amniotic sac — the fluid-filled membrane that cushions your baby in the uterus — to the lining of the uterus.
Fetal fibronectin is often present in vaginal discharge before week 22 of pregnancy. Fetal fibronectin also begins to break down and can be detected in vaginal discharge toward the end of pregnancy.
If your health care provider is concerned about preterm labor, he or she might test a swab of secretions near your cervix for the presence of fetal fibronectin between week 22 and week 34 of pregnancy. A positive fetal fibronectin test is a clue that the "glue" has been disturbed and you're at increased risk of preterm labor."

Dr. R said if it was positive we would be looking at steroid shots for the babies lungs, but also said a negative result was more accurate than a positive one. He told me results would be available that evening or the next day. He then checked my cervix for the first time. Let me tell you, I thought he was trying to shake hands with one of the babies. It. was. not. comfortable. I asked him about work and whether he thought I should continue and he directly said "no". In addition, he told me he wanted to see me weekly from this point on. Dr. R said he would write a note for me to be done working and then I asked about talking with the nurse regarding testing my blood sugar levels. 

We went to the nurses station and Dr. R asked the nurse to again check my levels and test results. Well, come to find out according to the College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists, only one of the three hour results was considered failing. He asked me how the test made me feel and I told him not too bad. He then said the best thing to do would be to repeat the test and check results again. Oh boy, lucky me!
I made my appointment for the following Wednesday and then the week after for our next ultrasound (at 32 weeks) and left. I called my boss that afternoon but didn't get through. I eventually talked with her on Thursday morning and gave her the update. We made a plan for all of my remaining cases and she was quite understanding. I spoke with the HR person regarding disability benefits and applying for the FMLA. 
I spent Thursday and Friday making phone calls and deciding what I was going to do with all of my new spare time. I decided I would work on some sewing projects and got to work. I made 2 super cute little dresses that came out amazing. I was very impressed with myself because I didn't think I could sew clothing. I used all fabric I had leftover from quilts. I spent some more time sewing this weekend and then we went to my in-law's lake house. 

Some pictures from today (31+5)

Sunday night has a whole new meaning when you don't have to work in the morning. I have to re-take my glucose test tomorrow, but have more sewing projects lined up. I have to say the week ended much better than it began. 
Also, here are a few other pictures I've taken with my new camera:
My birthday dinner. Our nephew Owen getting ready to try lobster.
Owen and my SiL

Mmmmm lobster



A look down the lake and at our boat


  1. Sending many thoughts your way!! We got a mini-van because of the same reason y'all have to get a bigger car. Car seats didn't fit in my car!! I love it! It was strange at first but the room we have now is awesome!! We also have a big dog and will be driving at some point to visit family. I'm really glad we got it!! The dresses are so cute!!

  2. Cute dresses! I'm sorry to hear about all the stressful things that are popping up. Hopefully, even if you keep failing the GD tests by only a few points, the needed adjustments to your diet will be minimal, as well. I'm hoping those babies stay in for many more weeks yet and come out healthy and strong when it's time!

  3. Mmmmm Lobster!

    Sorry you've had a stressful few days. I am sending you a big hug!

  4. Sorry it was such a crazy week! Loving all the pics, especially of the dresses. Too cute!

  5. Wow! You are certainly getting close. What did your doctor have to say about the braxton hicks? I was worried the other day as I was having the same thing (I'm only 25 weeks though). Hope the slowdown in pace is nice for you and that you are able to enjoy these last few weeks. Those dresses are super cute!

  6. What a crazy week!

    My friend has a van and loves it. I'm holding out still. :) We're looking at the Acadias (used) because of the 3rd row seat the folds down, lots of space, but it's not a huge SUV either.

    Those dresses are super cute - I'm impressed!

  7. Adorable dresses!!!!! I might need to commission you to make some stuff that I see on Pinterest, lol!

    I'm surprised by your 3 hour test...hopefully your next one will clear things up at determine that you don't have GD.

    As for bed, lots and lots of trashy TV, sew, pin stuff :)

    Can't help you out with the mini van. We bought an SUV with 3rd row seats so we wouldn't need one!

  8. I bet it feels pretty good to be done with work, although a definite change in routine! Looks like a fun, relaxing day out on the boat! SUV vs. mini van... I have a Honda Pilot, which I love, but not much room in the back if the third row seats are up. My sister has a Nissan Armada, which they absolutely love and it has tons of room! If you go the mini-van route, don't get a Dodge caravan! Even the brand new ones seem to drive really loud, at least to me. I've driven a Honda Odyssey a few times and have a friend that really likes there's. If we were ever to get a mini-van, that's probably what we would get. Good luck with the whole GD thing and car shopping.

    1. Oh! And those dresses are SUPER adorable!!