So I recently started following Lanie's blog Unruffled Lanie and this morning she posted her New Year's tradition. I've never really been one to make new year's resolutions, but I really liked these questions and goals for the previous and upcoming year. Thanks for letting me borrow it!
1. What did you do in 2011 you never did before?
Hosted our first Thanksgiving
Learned how to use injectables
Tried to branch off and specialize some with work
Started yoga and meditation
Started my own garden
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Like I said, I don't often make resolutions. I think I wanted to be relaxed and not stress about infertility last year. I really didn't think I would be sitting here, still not pregnant, again the following year. I think I also wanted to be better about exercise. This is something that comes and goes with me. I have been great at times and awful at others. I wish I were more consistent about it.
Be better to my husband and not take my stress out on him
Continue to practice yoga and meditation
Not take other people's pregnancies personal
I read this is a magazine and it really struck home "Be aware of the difference between anticipating and living. Joy is rooted in the present." So, be more present day to day
Exercise regularly and consistently
Plan more meals so we eat out less
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A co-worker and friend. We were supposed to be pregnant around the same time (my baby 3 months younger), but then I miscarried. She had baby Max in June and he is super cute.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
The main nurse at fertility clinic #1 who was really great at her job. I wouldn't say we were super close, but it was really sad. She passed away at 38 from cancer.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A successful pregnancy, more happiness and patience, acceptance
7. What dates from 2011 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
January 5- the day we started Lupron for my first IVF cycle which ended up being the date I ovulated
January 23rd- the day I found out I was pregnant
February 18- the day we found out our baby's heart had stopped beating
May 22- the day W graduated with his doctorate in physical therapy
June 8- 2 years at my current job
July 23- my sister's wedding
September 30- unfulfilled due-date
December 5- the day we transferred our embryos
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting back on my feet after rejection at work
Strengthening my marriage (sorry Lanie, stole that one from you)
Getting back on my feet after a miscarriage
9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing a baby
Failed fertility treatments
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Infertility, but otherwise completely healthy and feeling lucky for that
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Kindle, Blue Ray player that streams from the internet, 3 rounds of IVF, a vacation, dahlia bulbs for my garden
12. Where did most of your money go?
Fertility treatments, house projects, vacation, student loans, acupuncture, eating out
13. What did you get really excited about?
A pregnancy, vacation, finally transferring our embryos after 6 months of waiting
14. What songs will always remind you of 2011?
Anything by Mumford and Sons, Not Over you by Gavin DeGraw, Keep Your Head Up by Andy Grammer, Tighten Up by the Black Keys, Fix You by Coldplay
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or Sadder: Amazingly, I think happier. I am dealing with everything much better than last year
Thinner or Fatter: Probably about the same, maybe a little thinner
Richer or poorer: Richer! W graduated and got a professional job this year so we are officially DINK's
16. What do you wish you'd done more of:
Exercising, meditating, living life in the moment, smiling
17. What do you wish you had done less of:
18. How did you spend Christmas?
With the in-laws. W's Grandmother passed away so we didn't have our usual Christmas Eve dinner at his parent's house.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Breaking Bad, Parks and Recreation
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Naked by David Sedaris
I did a lot of reading fertility books and can't say any of them were my favorite's
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Mumford and Sons, The Black Keys, Maroon 5
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
The Tree of Life, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2, Bridesmaids, A Day in the Life
23. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
Went out to dinner with the hubby to our favorite Italian restaurant. I turned 28. We had a lobster dinner (as per tradition) with my parents the following night and went on the dinner with the in-laws a few nights later to a different Italian restaurant. I got wined and dined this year.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I hate to say it, but having a baby.
25. What kept you sane?
"Super-hubby" as I like to call him and my fur babies. Meeting so many others going through the same thing through blogging.
26. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
That I can get back up on my feet regardless of what happens. That life goes on whether you decide to join in or not. That sometimes you have to be selfish and make the best decisions for yourself personally.
Looking back on 2011, it had some good times and some really crappy times. I am hoping that 2012 is a great year for everyone and that I can stick to my personal goals now that they were written out. Happy New Year everyone!