Sunday, November 14, 2010

Contemplations

It seems like we need to make a decision in order to achieve our goal of pregnancy. I'm not wild about the Lupron idea. I feel like we put so much hope into the birth control pill to shrink my cyst and it never did. We just ended up having the surgery anyway. I feel like what would happen with the Lupron would be that we would try for 3 months and then repeat the HSG. Let's say it's clear this time. This means I still need to be on drugs to stimulate ovulation since I have PCOS and don't ovulate regularly. So then we would try to get pregnant with Clomid by ourselves. Let's say we try for another 3-6 months and then move on to IUI's. Let's say we try 3 IUI's before we end up back at IVF. I hate the thought of losing time and having failures each month.

After talking to the doctor it seems our best chance for success would be IVF. I understand this is the case with any given cycle, but it just seems like we might waste a bunch of time doing the least invasive measures.

On the plus side I found out the clinic I am going to charges $6,000 for an IVF cycle. This includes all doctor visits, ultrasounds, retrieval and anesthesia, transfer, and embryologist fees. I think this is everything but I could be leaving something out. I didn't include medicine because it is not included in that fee. The good thing is you pay $3,000 up front and can then make payments for the rest. This is something I think we can swing, but what if it doesn't work?

I did some research on the cost of the medicine and found anything form $1,000 to $3,000. Adding 3,000 makes the overall cost MUCH higher. I also found out some other things by researching on the internet: that some clinics sell used drugs for a discounted rate. When I called the clinic I got to to get rates for the medicine the nurse said it averages about $1,000 but that she knew of a grant program known as Fertility Lifelines. They have a program known as the compassionate care program and she gave me their phone number and urged me to call. In addition, this clinic does sell used drugs as long as they aren't expired and they use a wholesaler that is cheaper than a pharmacy. So I called Fertility Lifelines. 


They took some initial information and encouraged me to apply completely. They told me the criteria and it appeared we met it. They sent me the packet a few days later. I am in the process of completing it and sending it back to them as it could cover all or some of the meds. They need W-2 info, pay stubs, proof of citizenship, applications filled out, a copy of my insurance card. I am hopeful they will pay for at least some because they told me they will help if the household income is less than $100,000. With my husband still in school I would say we are there.

We had our friends over for brunch today. They have a 3 month old baby who is adorable but fussy. She was happy for some time while I held her today but then became very upset. I can sense the stress the Mom feels when the baby is crying and she can't get her to stop. It kinda makes me glad we aren't soothing an infant yet. I think we can't enjoy having the new house and our pets for a while longer.



We did some yard work this weekend and raked some. The friend who came over who gardens scared us for the spring for our acre lot. It is a little overgrown already so I guess we have to take control before we lose it completely. The weather was beautiful, hard to believe it is November.

On another note I haven't gotten my period yet. I last had it Oct 10th-18th. I then had my surgery on the 20th and bled a little for like 2-3 days. It is now November 14th and there are no signs at all. I was hoping it would come soon so I could call our RE and tell him we are interested in IVF in one cycle. I am putting off calling because it is a huge commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment